Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cavatini ~a great last minute meal

"Cavatini"
I made this last night for supper and it's so quick and easy and so delicious. Dave likes it and that is all that matters. I make it when company comes or potlucks for church. If I fix someone a meal from our church or neighbor this is usually what I take for them to eat.

Here goes:
Cavatini~~~

1 pound of ground beef or turkey.. (I use beef)
1 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
1 cup chopped onion
1 (6oz) tomato paste
1 cup water
1 small can sliced mushrooms drained
1/3 cup of ripe olives
1 T. pizza seasonings or Italian seasoning
1 cup of shredded Kraft Cheddar Cheese
1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups cooked pasta, any variety or varieties.. ( I use Rotini )

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet sprayed with olive-flavored cooking spray, brown meat, green or red pepper and onion. Add tomato paste, water, mushrooms, olives, pizza seasonings, pasta and Cheddar cheese. Spoon mixture into an 9x9 baking dish sprayed with olive-flavored cooking spray.. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and continue baking until cheese melts about 6 minutes. (I put the mozzarella cheese on right away for 30 minutes of baking. I take tinfoil off and bake another 6 minutes)
Serves 6
253 calories

HINT: 1 3/4 cups Hunt's Chunky tomato sauce (15 oz) may be used in place of tomato paste and water.
I got this recipe from Healthy Exchanges Food Newsletter CookBook by Joanna M. Lund

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This would go over big at my house. It is filled with things we love.

The Now and Then card idea sounds great. Transitions can be so hard for little ones.

Dawn said...

Sounds deee-licious!
Thanks!!! I may have to use this one tomorrow!!!!
:)

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Yummy! Annie that sounds delicious..you can tell it's fall, we all start cooking more..LOL..I had home made (pasta) mancicotti last night..yep...:)JP