Saturday, January 15, 2011

Three Crosses on a Hill


While we were in Pennsylvania last year visiting my husbands twin brother I saw these 3 telephone poles and got up and literally ran for my camera and went outside.. It had been a cloudy day and the sun came out to shine on the hill across the way from where he lives.. Don't they look like 3 crosses.. I thought it was so cool..
Well, this morning we are getting ready to go to Des Moines, Iowa (2 1/2 hour drive) for a board meeting for the Iowa Plowing Association. Dave is the President and I always go along with him . There will be 8 board members there and their wives come too.. We eat at a restaurant called The Machine Shed..I love their food.. The guys eat at one table and us girls eat at the other table.. It's always fun to see the girls again.. We have a good time sharing pictures of our grandchildren, some of us bring our sewing (knitting) projects we are working on and it's just a great time of gabbing with girls from all over the state. We will be leaving here soon so I better hurry and write what I want to say today.
Yesterday I went down a back road to visit a gal that goes to our church.. Verli Hiner..As I drove into her driveway I saw several flashes of bright blue.. I got so excited.. I got up to her house and she let me in and I asked her what birds she had that was so bright blue.. She said "Annie I have bluebirds"... No, really? Theres an old legend that claims sighting a bluebird assures a day of good luck.. If that's true I just had the good fortune of having lots of luck sent my way.. (course I always tell people if they have Jesus in their hearts we don't need luck). Well anyway she had a feeder in her backyard right outside her window and there were several bluebirds feeding.. Oh it was glorious,,those birds against the snow just made them look like jewels.. She said her bluebirds usually stayed the winter. I always thought they went south every year.. She feeds them raisins and wild bird food that has fruit in with the seed.. Cool~! It was so fun watching them flit from the feeder to the bush next to the feeder.. I told her I had a rooster pheasant at my feeder every morning.. She thought that was great as the snow is making it so they can't get the corn in the fields..
Well, time is up..gotta go.. Have a tiggeriffic day~! ta ta for now from Iowa

8 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

That's a great photo. Love the darkness in the clouds against the light of the sunshine. :)

We keep bluebirds here in Texas over winter, but I don't feed anything special for them. Perhaps I'll get some raisins to add to our feeder stations!

Laura~peach~ said...

have a safe trip and tons of fun love the birds against the snow they are just BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

John Going Gently said...

three crosses
kind of sweet and mysterious

Tracy said...

You know, I've seen three crosses arranged on a hill or pasture while driving and it always amazes me on their origins...yeah, mysterious...
Thank you for the good post!

Nancy said...

That's a breathtaking photo, Annie. I'm so glad you shared it with us. :)

jp@A Green Ridge said...

I never knew that about Bluebirds, Annie! Mine stick around here...I have four boxes that are on the fence line. They certainly have been good fortune for me! I met YOU!...:)JP

Tracy said...

I wanted to respond with a deep felt apology for the loss of your child in a car accident. How tragic for you and your family. I can not even imagine suffering through that loss and my heart goes out to you.
Thank you for your honesty and sharing your thoughts.

ethelmaepotter! said...

The three crosses photo is amazing. Love the mood of the whole scene.
I never knew that a bluebird sighting meant good luck. We have lots of them here year round. They're really most obvious when it snows. One morning last week, I had five on my deck rail!
Happy days!