Saturday, January 22, 2011

My green thumb is so excited~!

My brother sent me this picture of his pinkish/lavender/white orchid that was blooming. He lived in Florida at the time.. He now lives in South Carolina with my sister.. I'm sure he will have these growing in their greenhouse they just put up this fall. Goodness to be this orchid is so big and so beautiful.. Makes my orchid look puny.. But at least I coaxed my yellow orchid to bloom.. It was a proud moment for me when I saw the little buds coming and then when it bloomed (yellow) I was really excited~! It's so wonderful to see in the living room ~something blooming while it's so cold and snowy outside. A breath of color right before your eyes.























This is my amaryllis ~! Look at that~ 3 stalks coming up from that bulb.. I forgot what color the flower is suppose to be ~ so it will be a surprise. Won't be long and that first bud will open and then the others will have their turns...I'll really be excited when they bloom..








I put this picture on here and now I don't know how to get it off.. While it was still warm outside I took a picture of Mia.. She is such a sweet dog and so soft.She loves this stuffed animal and carries it all over the house with her..She belongs to my friend Holly.

Well, last night I went to our girls gathering at Roxanne's house. Yes, I forgot my camera.. Yikes~! what was I thinking? I was not.
We had such a great time and I didn't get home until after midnight.. I still have both of my shoes and my car didn't turn back into a pumpkin.. lol... We had lasagna for supper with salad and garlic bread. Then we snuggled in the living room and watched two movies.. "Old Dogs" and "It's Complicated. I think..this movie was with Myerl Streep and Alex Baldwin.. It was such a great movie.. I think I have the title wrong but I'm not sitting here any longer trying to think of the name... The girls wanted me to stay all night but I said oh my goodness I need my own bed.. You know at 66 years old I just can't sleep on a hard floor anymore.
I had a great time and it was hard to settle down when I got home to go to bed. So I sat up with Dave for a little while and knitted on the pair of mittens I'm doing. They are going along great and this mitten, I'm using those double pointed needles.. Took me awhile to adjust to them but I really like them a lot. The first mitten I used straight knitting needles and then when finished I had to sew up the seam... With the double pointed needles there will be no seam to sew.. I like that..
This morning it's 13 degrees.. warmer than yesterday,, it's snowing outside.. How can it snow when it's so cold... I like it when it snows ,the temperature rises and it's warmer outside.
Dave and I want to see the movie "True Grit".. So I looked up the times and it's at 11:30,2:00 and 4:30.. So not sure which time we are going . We can go out for breakfast and then a movie.. or go out to lunch and then the movie.. go to the movie and then go for supper.. I'll let you know tomorrow..:)
Have a tiggeriffic Saturday~ ta ta for now from Iowa..

OHHHHHH if anyone wants the recipe for the Garlic Pepper Baguette that I posted earlier you can find that recipe at http://www.talesfromthecoopkeeper.blogspot.com/ She made her bread the conventional way.. Kneading it and then baking it... I have a bread machine and I made it in that machine. I mixed up all the dry ingredients in a large bowl (I used 4 1/2 cups of flour) put all dry ingredients in the bread machine added the water/butter and let the machine do it's work. It was so delicious. It's a dense bread and very good.. Makes your house smell so good when it's baking. I have a machine that makes large loaves..

11 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

Woo Hoo. A whole 13 degrees (but better than -13!) I like your springish photos!

Tracy said...

UGH...too cold for my liking, but my thoughts are, if it is goin to be cold, it may as well snow!
Let me know how True Grit is because I'm back and forth as if I want to see it or not!
Glad you had a fun time last night!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

We all can use a little bit of spring in the middle of winter, can't we??

I hope you're enjoying your weekend!!

jp@A Green Ridge said...

That pooch is precious!!! And the Orchids are simply glorious! And a hot date with your honey? That's the best!...:)JP

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Southern California :-)

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You, ~Ron

JSpeas said...

Wow! Your orchid is so pretty. It's a little reminder of Maria this winter. My amaryllis is green and has two leaf looking like things coming up. I think it needs more sun and less snow...... Have fun at the movies.

Sue from Ky. said...

Pop and I and another couple went out on New Year's Eve to the movies to see "True Grit with Jeff Bridges" and then we watched the older version with John Wayne on TV, later in that week. Neither of us had seen the original one, so it was interesting to get to compare the two.

acorn hollow said...

I loved the movie it's complicated I thought it was so funny. we are cold today and suppose to get colder but I think I may make some bread I too have a bread machine it always smells so good
cathy

Nancy said...

Mia is such a cutie! I can imagine her dragging her toys all over the house. I'm glad you shared it!

I want an orchid sooooo badly. I'm thinking of purchasing one online when the weather warms up.

Carolina Trekker said...

I heard that Orchids will bloom if you put them in a warmer place. Where is your warmest room? Glad yours is going to bloom. We have been spritzing the orchids here with water everyday, especially their airborne roots. Thinking I need to bring them inside where it's warmer. There's an Orchid Grower north of Columbia. Maybe when you come we can go take a look. They have seven greenhouses full of orchids and it's open to the public. Love your Amarylis too.

Carolina Trekker said...

Enjoyed the picture of Mia hugging her dolly...sweet.