Friday, January 07, 2011

Family of Mice

A little light is all I needed to see the tiny little 4 legged furry mice. They were having a party.. They had gotten the minature marshmallows off the pantry shelf that goes down my basement steps.. They had opened them and they were scattered all over the floor. I went back upstairs and turned off the basement light and got my flashlight.. As I was sitting on the basement steps with the flashlight shining on the ceiling,,so the light would reflex on the floor.. I just sat and waited and was very quiet.. SHHHHH~! These mice must be leftovers from Chirstmas. Pretty soon out they came from their hiding place and cautiously tip toed back to where the marshmallows were.. Nibble Nibble ~ stop~ look around ~ Nibble Nibble ~ stop~ look around. Then they just gave up looking and just stood on their hind legs with the tiny marshmallows in their hands chewing on those fluffy sticky delicious sugary treats... It was so cute, they had sticky marshmallow stuck on their faces, whiskers,and paws... I wish I could of gotten up and got my camera. Taken the picture of all the fun they were having. They were in Marshmallow heaven... Well, I got up and went out to the shed and got the live trap and put all the marshmallows into the trap and left.. I'll check it out in the morning and see if they went in to get somemore treats. If they do I'll take them to the neighbors who has a nice barn they can live in and hopefully they are careful and the farmers cats don't eat them... I know that sounds cruel ~ but did you want me to put out poison?

Today I went to the neighbors house to take her some cookies I had baked...She came to the door looking really bad.. I asked her if she was sick and she said no. She had all her teeth removed yesterday and she was really under the weather.. I made her some soup and hot tea.. She was so happy I came to help her... Her husband came home from work and I came back home. I had grilled chicken for him and made a baked potato and some green beans.. He was really happy.. He was glad I came over to see how his wife was doing and take care of her.. He said he wasn't working tomorrow and he would be home to take care of her.. I was so glad to do it for her. Isn't that what neighbors are suppose to do? Watch out for each other>. I think God had it all planned that I was suppose to go to her house today.. Sometimes we just need to listen to him whispering in our ears. They both really thanked me and I was so glad I could help..
You never know what the day will bring. ( I told her about my mice and she said I should of just put out the poison)... she offered one of her cats to come to my house and take care of them.. I said "No I'll just see if they cooperate and get into the live trap".. take them to the Neitert farm up the road. She just laughed at me..
Well, you all have a tiggeriffic day~1 ta ta for now...

9 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

I like how you not only tended to your friend but her husband as well by feeding him. :) Very sweet.

Will be interesting to see if the mice cooperate. In an old house we used to live in, I'd catch them live, tromp them out to the burn pile near the woods and release them. I swear, they followed my tracks back to the house and invited every stray mouse they met along the way to come back with them. :)

Sue from Ky. said...

I doubt there is a humane way to get rid of mice. I know the older we get, the harder it is to see anything die,but Pop had a nest of baby mice in his shop, so he put out sticky traps. When he caught several babies on it, he brought it to the house to show the two semi-house cats,and nearly scared them to death. He was curious to see what they would do, and he found out.They both ran and hid.
They have never see mice that I know of.Now if the mice had been running, I'd say the cats would have pounced on them, but just wiggling on that sticky trap,I"d say that puzzled them.

Nancy said...

Sorry, Annie, but any mice around here are cat-food. Last year we had no cats and it was aweful!

So nice of you to take care of your neighbors. I'm sure they appreciate your thoughtfulness. :)

Laura~peach~ said...

how wonderful to be able to help your neighbor and her husband out. :)
as for mice... nothing cute about themin my book... ack. left over trauma from my teen years ireckon but i can not deal with mices at all.

John Going Gently said...

mice last 2 seconds with my albert.....
if they survive his attentions....the dogs eat them like candy bars

Tracy said...

What a lovely reminder that we need to extend ourself and reach out to others...thanks for the lovely post and I certainly hope your neighbor feels better soon.
What a great person you are to help out!

JSpeas said...

Cute story. I would have used to live trap to get rid of the mice also.

JSpeas said...

THE live trap - not "to live trap" duh

Carolina Trekker said...

Ohhhh, that is sweet. What a wonderful mousie story you wrote. Hugs to you for rescueing them. Mice are Nice!

Hugs to you for helping your neighbor. Coming out of anesthesia and having someone fix you a bowl of soup is like a huge HUG.