Friday, August 21, 2009

Hummingbirds are busy

Today I sat in the lawn chair for 1 1/2 hours watching the hummingbirds drink at the 2 feeders that I have.. Won't be long and they will be gone. I keep my feed out until I don't see them for several days.. Last year they were still here at the end of October. They are in the garden quite a bit drinking the sweet juice from the Cone Flowers, and the Zenia's. I love these little birds. They look so fragile but they are really strong.
The goldfinches are in big numbers now .. The Red-Wing-Blackbirds, Grackles, Starlings have all migrated.. It seems early for them to be gone.. So now the goldfinches and house finches are in their glory because they don't have to fight the big black birds for the black oil sunflower seed.
Today was a high of 63 degrees and very chilly. Rained until noon and then the sun came out and made everything look green. Had to wear a jacket while sitting in the back yard watching the birds.

1 comment:

Carolina Trekker said...

Hoping the Gold Finches will return here this winter. You have a perfect spot to sit and watch the birds in your garden. Have you noticed any Hummers heading back to the same spot when they finish at the feeder? I just read that is a sign they have a nest.