Saturday, July 31, 2010

Learning how to carve on wood...without cutting my hand or finger off.

This is Bruce and I went to his house and he was teaching me how to carve on wood.. This piece he carved and I thought it was so cool. See the little steps leading up to the house.. He has carved a ladder so one can get to the house on top.. He said it was from a piece of hickory.. WOW or maybe it was cotton wood.. Gosh, I forgot..

He made me a walking stick made from dogwood.. The picture is below.. I love light houses . The wood troll that he carved on it I thought was cool..

When I go geocaching I take this walking stick with me and it's very useful.. Not for just keeping my balance but when you are walking on the trails and you see a big spider web and use the stick to get rid of the web so you don't walk into it.. For any of you that don't know what geocaching is go to website : www.geocaching.com and find all the information there.Click on right side of the page where it says getting started. Or there is a video on the main page.. Just watch that and you well get an idea what geocaching is all about. It's a great sport that takes you places where you have never been. Geocaching is finding treasures with a hand held gps.. You can do this all over the world.. I found caches in Ireland, Austria and Czech Republic. Whenever I go on vacation I look up locations where the caches are hidden in places where I well be going.. all over the U.S.A. It's lots of fun and gets one outside in the fresh air and exercise by walking..
So far I have found 537 caches.. Some people have found as high as 8,000.. Caches are containers that are the size of a 35 mm film canister or as large as a ammunition box. Theres a log sheet inside each cache and you need to sign the log book. It's a lot of fun and very interesting where you find them and very rewarding.. You can yell "I found it". and that's enough to get you excited to go to the next place and find another one for the day..

Today my daughter , Tracie gave me a new puzzle game book>>> It's called fill-in Puzzles.. I have heard that doing cross-word puzzles and find the word puzzles are good for expanding ones brain.. So now I have a new one called fill in puzzles.. That should keep me busy for a little while..
Have a great day~!~! ta ta for now...

1 comment:

jp@A Green Ridge said...

I would love to learn how to carve! I bought myself a dremmel tool years ago, then a wood carving set which I use to make signs around my house & yard. But to make a "carving" would really be neat...:) Oh, and puzzles...I do sudoku every morning!