Thursday, July 29, 2010

While I was in Ohio ~~~

This is Delmar and Linda..they are two children that were at the Mennoite Auction Sale I went to last Wednesday.. Linda is 9 and Delmar is 11.. They sat with me at a table and pretty much told me their life stories.. They were so cute. No shoes for these kids.. It was a very hot and humid day and Delmar said when he got home he had to mow the grass.. Yikes~! They have 10 children and these two are in the younger group.. They have 2 smaller siblings below them. They told me about the daily chores they have to do everyday.. Shame most families today do not have their children do what these children do daily. They told me the lanuage that they spoke at home was Pennslyvania Dutch and when they are in public they speak English.. At school they are learning how to speak German..

I thought it was very interesting how the Mennoites made their vegetables they sold look appealing.. Everything looked so good and all sold at a good price.. Sweet Corn sold for 5 dozen for $4. Everyone in this area has a vegetable stand and they come to this sale to buy things for their stands.


It was a very interesting day and lots of fun.. I wish something like this was close to my house..


For lunch my brother , Leroy and I had a hot dog with homemade french fries and delicious peach pie with whipped cream.. for dessert..






3 comments:

jp@A Green Ridge said...

It's an real eye opener when you see & hear the differences among people, isn't it? I bet you, though, those kids will grow to be industrious & ambitious adults who never ask for handout!

JSpeas said...

Wow, great pictures. I love how the Mennonites made up their vegetable boxes. Very pretty.

Carolina Trekker said...

Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures. Love seeing Linda's homemade dress...they are sweet children. Their picture with the tractor is fun to see.